Making the most of Playa Mujeres (moo-hair-ez)
This past February, before most of the World was consumed by the pandemic, we had the pleasure of traveling to Playa Mujeres, Mexico for my daughter’s birthday. What a fabulous way to celebrate. A week of beautiful weather, sandy beaches and fun in the sun. We really lucked out traveling before the lockdowns. Otherwise, it could have been another one of those trips that got cancelled or postponed.
Our resort of choice for this trip was the Excellence Playa Mujeres, one of my daughter’s favorite resorts. Playa Mujeres is an area located about 35min north of Cancun International Airport (CUN).
Getting there is a fascinating experience, especially if you’re one to enjoy observing. The drive takes you straight through downtown Cancun and then through a sparsely populated area of dense vegetation.
Admittedly, I was not too sure of all this scenery until coming to a beautiful gated area for the entrance to three resorts; Excellence, Finest, and Beloved Playa Mujeres. The three sister resorts are all in a line a beautiful stretch of sandy beach and calm water.
Let’s face it. If you’re scouting a trip location, getting first-hand knowledge can make or break your decision to commit. Simple Pleasures Travel’s On Location series gives you our take on desirable properties and locations so you can make a more informed travel decision. And, if you’re committed to a location and need assistance, or don’t want to invest time sorting out your itinerary details, we can help with that too.
About Excellence Playa Mujeres
Excellence Playa Mujeres is an adult-only, all-inclusive resort that offers wonderful amenities and fantastic service. The resort features a modern yet traditional theme which we really enjoyed.
- Resort Grounds – One of my favorite parts of the resort is the inviting beach. The beach here is wide with white sand and calm, clear water. It was a bit windy when we were there in February and the water was not as clear as usual. However, it was warm and the breeze actually felt very nice. We were still able to enjoy the water without having waves knocking you over. If you like playing in stronger waves, this is not the place to do so.
- Accommodations – The resort offers standard level and then the Excellence Club Level booking categories. If you are looking for superior service rather than the do it yourself option, I recommend the Excellence Club Level. The rooms are modern, spacious and very comfortable. The balcony offers a great option for a bit of outdoor space to enjoy as well. Although we didn’t use it, our Excellence Club Level room category featured a roof-top patio area complete with private soaking pool and outdoor shower…quite posh. And if you prefer lounging in your room, the wet-bar was stocked with popular full-sized libations.
- Service – The staff is very friendly, helpful and truly make you feel welcome. The beach service is one of the best I have ever experienced…anywhere. There was always a new drink in my hand before I finished the prior one. I even had to tell them to hold for a bit. Must be careful with this service and get a few more waters in the mix.
- Dining – The restaurants were all very enjoyable and great food*. We tried Basmati, an Indian restaurant, and it was excellent. We had the server choose our meal and were served all of the best of the best options. What a great way to taste it all and enjoy. It was fantastic. The French Restaurant, Chez Isabelle offers fine dining and was fantastic. Not to mention, the wood-fired pizzeria at the pool service up amazing pie served up fast! The food and drink options are plentiful and you will not get bored with what is offered. We only had one meal that was not too great and it was due to our mistake. We went too late, the restaurant was busy and the service slowed down. The meal was still very nice.
*Please note that all the restaurants on the resort have a dress code. This resort is more dressy than others and most men wear long pants to dinner with a collared shirt. Great way to get dressed up for dinner every night. It did make the dining more romantic.
- Excursions – If you’re looking for a break from all the relaxation, a nearby ferry delivers travelers to Isla Mujeres. The short ferry ride to the island is a return to the quaint laid-back travel Mexico has offered for decades complete with casual beaches, street vendors, open-air dining, and lots of golf carts & scooters. If a trip isn’t complete without a trinket or souvenir, then Isla Mujeres is a must see.
Other Playa Mujeres Resort Options
For multi-generational family trips check out Finest Playa Mujeres, which is right next door. It is very modern, has separate sections for families and adult only and provides the same excellent service. The pool is even divided into two sections. One for the adults and one for the families.
One of the many options for a destination wedding and your reception is the Finest’ Sky Bar Terrace featuring a rooftop setting overlooking the ocean. It is an own oasis for you and your guests. There are many more options available so if you know of anyone that is thinking about a destination wedding, please send them my way.
Also nearby is Beloved , another adult only resort, that is much smaller and boutique in style with very clean lines and soft color. If you like a more traditional feel, I would stick with Excellence.
Still not sure if Excellence Playa Mujeres is the right fit for you? Give us a call and will help you choose the perfect Mexican all-inclusive getaway.